Sunday, November 2, 2008

Not just a dumb jock

I came across this story a few days ago. Watch this video to see a short segment about high school junior, Josh Johnson, breaking out of the status quo.

It's always refreshing to see people, especially teenagers, step out of their cliques. As much as we make fun of stereotypes, band geeks aren't nerd and jocks aren't as dumb as a pile of rocks. Personally, I discovered this my freshman year of high school. My next door neighbor happened to play the tenor drums and was drumline section leader that year. He marched with a DCI corps over the summer and needless to say, he was the epitome of what we all termed to be "hardcore." When the football season rolled around, he marched with us out to the field, played the cadence, then stripped his uniform. Underneath was a uniform of another kind - a cheerleader outfit. I have to admit, I was in awe that first game. The guy who was one of the most intense drummers around was also a cheerleader. It just goes to show you, no one is as black and white as we would sometimes like them to be.

[For any "High School Musical" fans out there who are still riding the wave of the third movie, I bet this was a reason why you loved the movies.]

No comments: