Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I'm with the band.

Hello all! This is a blog for band nerds, music lovers, and those who scratch their heads and wonder why people enjoy walking in step with each other while hyperventilating. I'm here to explain the world of the average bando to the rest of mankind. I chose this undertaking because music has been a part of my life since I was five years old. I started out tickling the ivories in kindergarten and progressed to violin in the fourth grade. After a year, I made one of the most monumental decisions of my life: going from "Orch Dork" to "Band Geek." In fifth grade I picked up the flute and haven't put it down since. My marching career began in high school when I voluntarily became a "Marching Mustang" for Downers Grove South. I marched flute all four years, becoming section leader in my senior year. It's an exaggeration to say that I undoubtedly, thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, but I can honestly admit to loving being able to interact with the distinguished breed of people one finds in a marching band. For this reason, this site will provide you with information on music, drill, tradition, and a few stories that have the potential to start with, "This one time at band camp...." More specifically, I hope to use this blog as an opportunity to expand my own knowledge of the history of Purdue's marching band and other bands in the Big 10. In any case, the ever-mysterious world of marching band will be revealed to those who wonder just what the reason might be that people willingly follow those who wildly flail their arms to conduct music. Currently, I am a proud member of Purdue University's 2008 "All-American" Marching Band (although I play piccolo here as Purdue has a thing against marching flutes, with good reason). Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Puedo leerlo bien!....y me gustarIa
leer mAs!


(upper case indicates accents cuz i am lazy)